BRC Training is in progress!
Check back at the beginning of Fall 2013 semester to join!
Or, if you would like to become an Affiliate Member, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applying to CERT:
Thank you for your interest in CERT!
We offer training twice each year: once during the fall semester and once during the spring semester. Each recruit class is typically comprised of 30 students. Information will be posted on our website and around campus regarding training days, deadlines and informational meetings where you can learn more about CERT’s mission and the various community outreach programs we are working on.
Once an applicant submits the application and completes training sessions, he/she must take an exam on the material covered. The test will be graded and the application will be reviewed. Then, the executive board will notify each applicant shortly after as to whether or not they have been accepted to the Canes Emergency Response Team.
- Be a freshman, sophomore, or junior
- Be a full-time student at the University of Miami
- Be a student in good standing
- Be willing to stage & remain on campus if the team is activated by the University (up to a 72 hour period of time)
- Turn in the online application that using the form linked to in the application section
- If needed, fill out the two forms linked to on this page: the Hold-Harmless Form (must be notarized) and the Field Trip Release Form. These forms would be due the first day of training (Note: these are only due if we will be carrying out our practical session at USAR)
- Attend all training sessions
Twenty hours are required for training but once you are certified and pass your CERT exam, you will not need to attend training again in any subsequent years.
If you can’t attend the training dates or are not sure that you can complete the training at this time, don’t fret! Feel free indicate your interest in joining us in the future by filling out the “Request More Information” form through the link below. Also, keep checking the website for updates about our upcoming 2012 Fall Basic Recruit Class.
We look forward to hearing from you!